The Super Bowl is this Sunday, and this year is especially exciting as my hometown team, the Carolina Panthers, are playing for the championship this year. It’s been an exciting year for football this year in NC, and the whole city is ready to celebrate this weekend! But before you hit that Super Bowl party, take a few steps to make sure you have fun but stay healthy, and of course, have an indulgence!
- Eat healthfully before going to the party. Many of us tend to eat very little before splurging on food, and this can lead to extreme hunger and overeating. Instead, make smart choices with lots of protein and fiber, such as lean meats, nuts, vegetables and whole grains before the tailgate to keep you from being overly hungry and overeating at the party.
- Take a walk through before you grab a plate. Most parties and gatherings are setup buffet style. So before you make any decisions on what you are going to splurge on, make sure you know all your options. By doing a walk through you may spot the brownie at the end of the table you would rather have than the fried chicken fingers at the front. Choose your splurge item carefully and fill up the rest of your plate on healthier choices.
- Fill up on healthier options.
- Chicken (wings or breasts) without the skin. Eat the meat which is full of protein and skip the high calorie skin.
- Pulled Pork (found often in the South)
- Chili without the add ons (just say no to the cheese, tortilla chips, sour cream, etc.)
- And of course, if your party offers fruit and vegetables, load up on those!
- Sandwich with lean meat and veggies (if available). Skip the mayo and cheese.
- Drink plenty of water. Not only will you stay hydrated and feeling full, but water is zero calories!
- Socialize a lot. Once you eat, stay away from the buffet. An easy way to do that is to socialize. Talk with friends and cheer on your favorite team (hint, hint: the Panthers!). This is the fun part of the event anyways, so focus on fun instead of food.
So this SuperBowl Sunday, have fun and don’t fret! You can enjoy your normal activities and achieve your health goal.
What do you do to stay healthy during parties?