Even though it’s the last week of April, and I live in the South, it’s still been pretty cold out. And when it’s cold, I like soup. Nice, hearty soup.
I altered this recipe from Ambitious Kitchen for Lightened Up Slow Cooker Chicken and Rice Soup, and the results were tasty and comforting – the perfect meal for a chilly night!
- 1 cup carrots, chopped
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp poultry seasoning
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 2 uncooked turkey breasts, chopped into bite sized pieces
- 3/4 cups of wild rice
- 1 box of low sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook carrots in olive oil over medium heat until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and spices to pan, and cook for 30 more seconds.
- Transfer carrots and seasoning to slow cooker. Top with diced turkey and rice. Add in chicken broth and add salt to taste.
- Cook on low for 6 hours (or until turkey is cooked through).
- About 30 minutes before eating, add sour cream to slow cooker and thoroughly mix. Cook on low for 30 minutes.
This soup is very versatile – you can add in addition veggies, change the turkey to chicken, and use whatever kind of long grain rice you enjoy. I do recommend using the sour cream as it gives the soup a great silky texture!