At least one morning a week, I need to grab a quick breakfast and run out the door. Whether it’s an early morning meeting or I slept in more than I should, having breakfast already made makes my morning a bit easier.
And these baked oatmeal muffins are the perfect healthy and tasty way to start your day! They are high in fiber, so they keep you full, and you can customize the mix-ins to your specific tastes. Plus, they freeze beautifully – all you need to do is take one or two out, put them in the microwave for 30-45 seconds, and voila – breakfast is ready! No need for the drive-thru – a healthy breakfast is right in your freezer.
- 2 1/2 cups rolled oats (not instant). I use Trader Joe’s Gluten Free Rolled Oats.
- 2 overly ripe mashed bananas. (these act as a binder and only add a hint of banana flavor)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 1/2 tbsps. of honey or maple syrup (I used honey)
- 1 1/3 cups of water
- 1/8 cup of plain Greek yogurt
- 1 1/4 tsp of vanilla extract
- optional mix-ins: chocolate chips, raisins, dried cranberries, cinnamon, chopped nuts, flax seeds, etc.
Preheat oven to 380 degrees and fill a 12 count muffin tin with paper liners or use cooking spray to prevent muffins from sticking to the pan.
In a large mixing bowl, combine oats and salt. In a medium bowl, combine banana, honey, water, Greek yogurt and vanilla extract. Mix wet into dry and add in any mix-ins if using.
Scoop batter into muffin tins. These do not rise so you can fill to the top if you want.
Bake for 20-22 minutes. Let them cool. Store in an airtight container or freeze.
I have made these with raisins, chocolate chips, cinnamon and without any mix-ins and I loved every version! They are great topped with a dab of peanut butter as well.
Eat for breakfast, a snack or even dessert. Enjoy!