I hope you all enjoyed your long holiday weekend!
Many people, myself included, tend to forget about our nutrition and fitness goals on long weekends. We eat what we want, we may skip a workout, and we just have fun!
But once the fun is over, we tend to feel sluggish and 5 pounds heavier.
Well, the good news is, you probably didn’t gain 5 pounds. You may not have even gained a pound! Most of what we experience after a fun-filled weekend is bloat.
Bloating causes that nasty feeling of having gained a ton of weight. Your abdomen feels full, and may even bit a bit painful. This is caused by a buildup of gas in your stomach and intestines.
Many things can cause us to bloat, but the biggest culprits are eating high fat foods, drinking carbonated beverages, and eating too quickly. We tend to indulge in all of these things when we are having fun!
After a long weekend, try these tips to help you beat the bloat:
- Drink a glass of hot water with lemon in the morning and drink plenty of water throughout the day.
- Avoid dairy as it tends to create more bloat
- Get moving, but don’t go too fast. Exercising at high intensities tends to cause gulping in air which can cause more bloat. Taking a low intensity walk or doing some yoga is a great way to get the body moving and help get rid of some bloat.
- Add pineapple or papaya into your diet. These fruits contain enzymes that help the body de-bloat.
- Make sure you are eating slowly, chewing carefully and eating the correct portions throughout the day.
- Avoid using straws and chewing gum because it increases the amount of air you swallow.
- Have a high fiber snack that does not cause bloat. Pears, avocados, raspberries or chia seeds are great options to help “clean out” your system while not adding excess bloat. Avoid foods such as beans, broccoli and cauliflower as they tend to add bloat.
- Avoid alcohol and caffeine. These beverages tend to dehydrate you, and you want to stay hydrated to help debloat.
- Avoid sugar and artificial sugars, which can increase bloating.
- Get a good nights sleep. This helps your body relax and will keep you from feeling sluggish throughout the week.
And the best tip of all, don’t beat yourself up after a weekend of fun. Life is meant to be lived – and we all deserve some time to indulge!